Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Pleasure Principle

William Carlos Williams said, 'If it ain't a pleasure, it ain't a poem.'

Last Sunday, during the Oscar broadcast, the talented Idina Menzel performed the Oscar-winning song, 'Let It Go'.  She appeared nervous and her voice screeched, making the performance almost unbearable.  The following night, she sang here with Jimmy Fallon accompanied by children's musical instruments and she soared; smiling and laughing through the song, clearly enjoying herself.

If it ain't a pleasure, it ain't a poem. Or a song. Or a painting.

I don't believe in bleeding as an artist.  It's messy and makes the keyboard stick.  When I sit down to write a poem it is usually caused by a spark; a turn of phrase, a word, or the way the light hit the side of a building. I approach a poem like a crossword puzzle; a game to be bested by finding the right words, line breaks and images to bring the poem to life for the reader.

Mostly, I have a little fun with language.

I'm not particularly prolific as a poet. I try to write a poem weekly (right there, that sounds like a chore), though lately I haven't been inspired by much. It is easier to let go of the guilt of not writing when you write for pleasure.

Don't be fooled by that last statement. I consider myself a serious poet. I submit work regularly and I've had many poems published. I revise and edit. I put together manuscripts for competitions. Last week, I applied for an MFA program (there, I said it).  I just think you should experience joy when you write.

If it's so much labor, so much pain and head-banging to get a poem onto paper, then why not just dig ditches?


5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your poem in Heron Tree. And yeah, I also believe in joy. That, and necessity. Breathing and eating aren't always enjoyable, but it's hard to stop...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been in my thoughts......
    Friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you should hold on.
    Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle,
    because the older you get,
    the more you need the people
    who knew you when you were young.
    I don't know if you will see this or even respond....it just doesn't matter because you will always hold a place in my heart!!
    Love Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, I don't know how you found this, but I'm glad you did. It was around our birthdays that I wished I knew where you were and how you were doing. Is there a way to email you? I'm living in Iowa now, as you might have guessed. My life changed dramatically upon my 50th birthday. I would love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete