Saturday, December 28, 2013

What a Difference a Goal Makes

Several years ago, I read an interview with a former governor of New Mexico.  He was a Republican, with very liberal social views (and admitted to using drugs in his youth).  He was not a party favorite.

He also spoke about his annual resolutions, although he preferred to make them goals to be worked on throughout the year.  He believed resolutions, decisions to change a behavior on January 1, were recipes for failure, usually by January 2 (although I quit smoking at midnight December 31 more than 24 years ago).

Instead, he drafted a set of goals for the coming year.  Some were more challenging than others.  Some were for personal improvement.  Some he might start working on at the beginning of the New Year, others would not be done or attempted until later.  He included easily achieved goals on his list, feeling little victories were important to keep the momentum.

Since 1998, I have made a yearly goals list.  I used to keep it to 10 goals, framing and keeping them on my desk and on the bathroom counter as constant reminders through the year.

Two years ago, I switched to post-it notes on the bathroom mirror, each removed when the goal is met.  I can tell you I have never completed a list, but I usually pluck off more than 70%.

I have 14 goals ready for the coming year, and I'm certain to add a few more before the crystal ball drops in Times Square.

Here's a sampling of goals for 2014:

1. Build my saving account.
2. Write one poem a week.
3. Restart my McDougall eating plan and plant-based diet.
4. Visit the Delaware County Historical Society.
5. Enter 4 manuscript competitions.
6. Advance my bread making skills.
7. Buy a laptop.

Some goals are worked on throughout the year, like building my savings or healthier eating.  A visit to the historical society museum can't be done until summer when it reopens.  I make bread all the time and want to experiment with other ingredients.  Nothing is overly lofty, but each one of these goals are things I should be doing or want to do.

Some will require planning, the creation of a ritual, like writing a poem each week.  Buying a laptop might be largely dependent on how well I build my savings.

What goals would I read on your bathroom mirror?


No comments:

Post a Comment