Saturday, November 16, 2013

Popcorn Elitist

It is a blustery, misted day here in northeast Iowa, with rain and thunderstorms anticipated for the afternoon.  I woke up with one thought for my day: I'm going to make popcorn and watch 'The Hours'.

There are a handful of movies I watch over and over; 'The Hours' is one of those, but it requires a rainy, moody atmosphere to make my experience truly complete.  And it needs to happen in autumn.

But this is about popcorn.

I love popcorn.  I love making popcorn.  My freezer is never without popping corn.  I have eaten popcorn for a meal.  I do not need a movie as an excuse to make popcorn.  Microwave popcorn is the devil; it costs more, it's tasteless, and it's toxic and probably contains beaver anal glands.

I'm a traditionalist.  Popcorn should involve a stovetop, a pan of oil, and a vigilant popper.  And white popcorn, not yellow.  White popping corn has smaller kernels; use yellow popcorn only if your threading it for a Christmas garland.  Better yet, try black popping corn; the kernels are smaller, they don't get stuck in your teeth, and the flavor is an incredibly nutty, wild taste.

We all like salted popcorn, and most like buttered popcorn,. I actually don't care for butter on my popcorn.  Years ago, I started trying different seasonings on my popcorn; taco meat seasoning, a little shredded cheddar or sprinkle it with Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix.  One of my favorite popcorn blends is sea salt, pepper and shredded Parmesan cheese.

Still, this is really about the pan.  A popcorn pan is a dedicated pan, used for no other cooking (my popcorn bowl is nearly as sacred).  I've had two popcorn pans in my adult life, both purchased at thrift stores.

My current pan has been used for more than 20 years.  It is a superb popcorn pan; deeper than the average pan (it was the bottom of a double-boiler, the lid salvaged from another pan). It's light-weight with a long handle, perfect for standing over the pan and shaking it for better popcorn.  My  popcorn pan remains on the stovetop, just as might leave a teakettle standing, ready for use.  The outside is blackened from dripped oil (I don't wash it often, only wiping the inside with a paper towel before I use it) and the bottom has warped from the heat so it tilts precariously on the burner.  If I take the lid off, the pan tips over when empty.  I know it is time to let it go.


Last weekend, I stopped at one of my favorite thrift stores in the little town of Hopkinton, or Hoptown as the natives call it.  It's a mission store and if you're visiting, I'm sure to drag you to Hoptown for the experience of a Saturday morning in the Not-So-Tiny House Mission Store.  In housewares I spied a likely replacement for my old popcorn pan.  It was the right size, not as deep as the old one.  The lid was ill-fitting, but that's okay on a popcorn pan.  Best of all, it was one dollar.  In the sorting room of the thrift store, I know there is a stove and I asked if I could test out the pan.  I stood at the stove, felt the pan's weight in my hand, skated it over the burner, rotated the handle as if I were dumping popped corn.  I happily shelled out a dollar.

I'm not quite ready to let go of my faithful popcorn pan; it's like saying goodbye to your first car.  I popped innumerable bowls of popcorn for Jeff and I during our 21 years together.  I've made my gourmet-flavored popcorn for friends to savor while we watched a movie.  My dog, Joey, loves popcorn and knows the sounds of the pan being readied and he waits patiently at the stove for me to finish, then he sits at my feet in the living room and I toss kernels to him and he catches them in midair.

For now, I'll work with my warped and charred old pan, and hope it's replacement serves as admirably.





7 comments:

  1. I've come to appreciate good popcorn and am still trying to perfect how to make it. We bought an air popper (sacrilege?) but I can't help but think this method of popping makes gourmet flavoring more difficult. Also, I don't know where to get good white popcorn...most places around here seem only to have the yellow.

    I will have to search for a perfect popcorn pot like yours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, seriously look at thrift stores, even if the pan doesn't work well, you didn't pay a lot for it and it is replaceable without the guilt of spending too much money. I was able to buy the black popcorn at Harris-Teeter, and you can also look online. White popcorn shouldn't be that hard to find...I know I bought in NC without difficulty.

      Delete
  2. I am a popcorn snob! I have a Whirly Pop (which is a stovetop pan with a crank which turns the kernels) and either use safflower oil or coconut oil to pop with. A sprinkle of Real Salt when popped and it's perfect. Ben likes to add nutritional yeast top his off. We occasionally experiment with different toppings. Now I'm hungry for popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add that the best popcorn we bought was the rainbow mixture from Lehman's store in Ohio. We found one a bit similar here in Iowa in the Amana Colonies.

    And our cat likes to sit by us when we have a bowl of popcorn and munch on the pieces we give to her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those whirly crank poppers, anything that makes the act of popping corn an interactive event. I know the black popcorn is actually from Vinton, Jeff and I used to order it from there. I read a recipe online today that called for the nutritional yeast, so I may have to venture into this.

      Delete
  4. I wish you'd given me a tutorial...I have never seen popcorn made this way if you can imagine- what kind of oil do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodi, I use plain old vegetable oil. I've tried olive oil, but it burns hot and you wind up with a lot of unpopped kernels (dead heads). Beth, is using safflower oil according to her comment and I might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete