Saturday, October 5, 2013

How dogs, diners and death brought me back to life.

It's three years since my partner, Jeff, died. The grief was consuming, breathtaking; sometimes beautiful, sometimes hellish. “We all ask the same question,” the poet, Dorianne Laux said to me shortly after Jeff died. “Who am I in the face of death? For you, the answer is a simple one: I'm a writer.”

And so I wrote. Poems filled with my grief, my anger, my confusion. My wonder.

A year later, I loaded my belongings and my dog, Jack, and returned to Iowa where I grew up. I moved into my father's lake home in the tiny village of Delhi in Delaware County.

I found a job as a short-order cook in a small diner, a place where farmers gather in the early morning to gab over coffee and eggs.  "We're like a family here," the owner's wife told me the first day.  It was a far-cry from retail manager, but I found the artistry in working the grill.  And I found a family.

I'd only been in Iowa three months when I met Joey, a fat ball of black fur and the saddest puppy eyes. He was leashed with a bit of twine and two young girls were desperately trying to find homes for him and his three sisters.

I wrote more poems that fall and winter; poems about Iowa, about the farms and the churches, about the quiet. I still grieved for Jeff, but there was a shift, a turning, a discovery that I was going on and surprisingly, it was okay.

My second winter is coming. Joey is a big, lovable teddy bear of a dog, and he and Jack make an odd pair. The three of us crawl into bed at night, the best threesome I've ever had. 

And recently, I noticed, grief slipped into memory.

 In theory, you let go.
 

3 comments:

  1. Killer work, Tim. I'm so glad you're sharing it with us. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More than happy to see this. Much more than happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the rhythm, both of the poem and the depiction of passing time.

    ReplyDelete